Innovative e-Tourism Services
The project is mainly focused to the technology review, design and pilot implementation of innovative mobile services for the tourism sector. Research will focus in the area of Mobile and Web services for e-Tourism that combine:
- Augmented Reality applications Maps and GIS for content structuring and presentation
- Location-Based Services with context awareness, social networking and other innovative features
- Web/Mobile GIS tourism portal
- Mobile VAS for the Tourism Sector
- Augmented Reality (AR) mobile service for the tourism sector
Web/Mobile GIS tourism portal
The objective of the project is to utilize WEB/GIS technology for the promotion of touristic areas/sites/Points of Interest via Internet. Within the project the incorporation of GIS technology in existing tourism portals will be analyzed and designed and will include the following (as minimum):
- Tourism data analysis –New services design using GIS technology.
- Design of the schema and the format of the GIS layers.
- Design of the interfaces between Portal Database and GIS and other sources of information (e.g. Google Enterprise Server).
- Adjustment of content to other data access channels (PC, mobile, etc.).
- Pilot development of selected applications in PC- mobile for a specific data category and/or new services for the Peloponnese Region Development Company collaborating in the project scheme.
Mobile VAS for the Tourism Sector
- Utilization of LBS technology with further use of the Mobile GIS services in order to provide the capability to locate and present all the nearby areas of touristic interest located in a perimeter defined by the user (based on the location where the user is) and subsequently to proceed with the selection and access to the specific data using techniques such as data streaming.
- The application of innovative or other mature technologies (e.g. Social media) in mobile tourism services.
Augmented Reality (AR) mobile service for the tourism sector
- Image Recognition (building/ object etc.) that is captured by the camera of the mobile device.
- Appearance of information related with the "object” that has been recognized in real time.